Sustainable Tourism Network
Cuilcagh Lakelands Geopark Sustainability in Business Training Programme
This is a programme we are currently running that is funded by Cavan County Council and Fermanagh and Omagh District Council for the Cuilcagh Lakelands UNESCO Global Geopark Business Network. All content was tailored to the specific requirements and objectives of the Geopark. Our ability to do this was enhanced by our familiarity with the region through our experience from delivering the original Sustainability Training Pilot Programme in 2020-21 as well as the Geopark 10 Year Development Strategy which we delivered in 2019.
The objectives of the programme were to:
- Establish a baseline for current practices and the carbon footprint of each business
- Build knowledge and skills in the area of sustainability through group training
- Build competency and implementation through one-to-one training
- Develop strong, collaborative networks and a shared vision for the sustainable development of the Geopark
- Empower the Geopark businesses in gaining confidence in sustainable business practices
- Provide an opportunity for individual businesses of the Geopark to network and build relationships
- Create a framework for ongoing collaboration between stakeholders in both counties
- Develop a “Destination Mindset”
- Build awareness amongst the businesses of each other’s product offerings to facilitate collaborations and cross-promotion
"The Tourism Space have been a real help to focus our thoughts for our way forward. They are very gifted at getting people to open, feel safe about sustainability and get encouragement."
Annonymous Participant Feedback.
- A blend of one-to-group and one-to-one trainings.
- A mix of in-Geopark and online trainings.
- Curation of an online library of programme content and training recordings.
- Inclusion of relatable Industry Guest Speakers where relevant.
- Commissioning Expert Trainers for specific topics such as Biodiversity, Leave No Trace and Accessibility
- Use of case studies, from both national and international sources.
- Learning Field Trip to the Burren & Cliffs of Moher UNESCO Global Geopark
- Use of breakout rooms to encourage networking and build familiarity.
- Inclusion of Member Spotlights in each session – allowing each participant business time to showcase their business and what they do to other participants.
- Delivery of a Certified Leave No trace Awareness Course
- A compact treatment of the core climate action topics of energy, waste and water
- 1-2-1 training supports to ensure each participant embeds a sustainability
management system around climate action.
- Certificates of Completion
Topics covered in training
- Get Started on Energy.
- Energy Conservation & Energy Management – Baseline, Action Plan and Targets .
- Biodiversity and Business in the Geopark.
- Leave No Trace Awareness Certified Training.
- Water Conservation & Water Management in your Business.
- Waste Management in your Business.
- Offering an accessible and inclusive Geopark experience.
- Marketing the Geopark
Together this season.
- Building sustainability into the Geopark Experience.
"A big thank you for guiding us through this, and here's to a bright future for the everyone and the Geopark"
Anonymous Participant Feedback.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE
As part of our sustainability policy, The Tourism Space™, has committed to raising awareness of how tourism can positively contribute to the global sustainability agenda. We have extensive experience, from both a research and practice perspective, in supporting the emergence of sustainable approaches within businesses and destinations. We integrate the Sustainable Development Goals into our programme design and delivery, thereby building awareness and understanding and highlighting how each business and destination can contribute in practical and meaningful ways.Read more about how we support sustainability and regeneration