Why and how to reduce waste in your business
Learn why reducing waste is so important, understand how much waste is generated in your business and discover 6 strategies to help you reduce and manage waste right now!
By completing this programme, you will…
Understand the waste challenge in a global context.
Understand what the term ‘circular economy’ means and how public policy is moving more and more towards circular systems.
Appreciate the business benefits of putting a greater focus on waste management.
Be able to calculate how much waste is generated in running your business.
Get clear on where waste is generated in your business and how it is managed.
Know the 6 primary strategies for reducing the amount of waste that is generated and for improving how that waste is managed.
What topics are covered in this course?
VIDEO 1: WASTE, THE WORLD AND YOUR BUSINESS (13 minutes)
- The Big Picture on waste.
- The Circular Economy.
- Why is waste management important in your business?
VIDEO 2: UNDERSTAND WASTE GENERATION IN YOUR BUSINESS (11 minutes)
- Calculate how much waste is generated in your business.
- Understand where the waste is coming from.
- Understand how waste is managed in your business.
VIDEO 3: SIX STRATEGIES TO REDUCE WATER USE IN YOUR BUSINESS (15 minutes)
- Review Priorities.
- The 5 R Pyramid.
- 6 strategies to reduce waste: refuse, reduce, re-use and re-purpose, recycle, rot, influence behaviour.
ASSESSMENT TO REVIEW AND CONSOLIDATE LEARNING
PLUS FREE BONUS TRAINING!
"Why and how to calculate the number of people using resources in your business."
Learn why and how to calculate the number of people using resources in your business.
This will directly help you to make the most of what you learn about managing and reducing waste. In fact, it's the secret to establishing a meaningful Key Performance Indicator (KPI) and to tracking your performance over time.
How is this course relevant to the 2030 Global Sustainable Development Goals?
In 2015, the United Nations published 17 Sustainable Development Goals, which address the global changes we face as part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The United Nations’ Agenda is "a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future."
At its heart are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) designed to stimulate action in areas of critical importance for humanity and the planet. You can watch a summary video HERE.
At The Tourism Space™, we have committed to raising awareness of how tourism can positively contribute to the global sustainability agenda.
This particular course can help you with actions relating to at least 6 of the SDGs, listed below.
Sustainable Tourism Advocate
Tina O’Dwyer is a professionally certified coach, mentor and facilitator working exclusively with tourism enterprises. She has extensively researched, implemented and evaluated approaches to sustainable and responsible tourism since 2011. She is valued for the highly practical nature of her approach and her deep understanding of the perspective of the business owner or manager. In particular, her award-winning work with the Burren Ecotourism Network and the Burren & Cliffs of Moher Geopark 2011-2018, has led her to being recognized as a pragmatic and motivational change maker in the space. She has demonstrated how sustainable and regenerative approaches to tourism can be made practical and palatable for tourism enterprises. Since 2017, Tina has continued to work with destinations and groups to develop sustainable development plans, industry toolkits and training resources.
Tina has been recognised as a Thought Leader in High Performance Tourism, which she defines as tourism that delights visitors, champions places, benefits communities and celebrates profits - all at the same time! She speaks internationally on the topics of sustainable and regenerative approaches to tourism, food tourism, stakeholder engagement and collaboration.
Is this course for me?
This course is suitable for people working in any business that generates waste as part of the normal delivery of its services and who want to get clear on how they can generate less waste and manage waste better in their business.
If you are trying to figure out where to start, this is an ideal course for you! If you are already making efforts to manage waste better in your business, then this will give you an excellent framework for developing that work and also for tracking your progress over time.
What do I get in this course?
- 3 Training Videos on the following areas:
- Waste, The World and your business
- Understanding waste generation in your business
- 6 strategies to reduce waste use in your business.
- A downloadable copy of the slides used in each training video.
- A spreadsheet template to help you track and monitor waste use in your business.
- An end of course assessment to review and consolidate learning.
- A Certificate of Completion upon successful completion of the assessment.
- A FREE Bonus Training on the important topic of how to establish the number of people using resources in your business.
- If you choose to become a Member (which includes all our short training courses), you'll also have the option to attend a weekly Q&A call with other learners from The Tourism Space. No need to be stuck when you can meet with one of our expert trainers every week and get your questions answered!